What should I expect when I try to leave and find a shelter?
- Shelters keep their numbers confidential so the best way to find a shelter is to call a hotline first like (918) 7HELPME and let them know the seriousness of your situation and your desire to leave your spouse/boyfriend/significant other.
- You will be screened on the phone by shelter workers and they will decide if you will be admitted to the emergency shelter and you will be given directions on how to find the shelter.
- Once admitted to the shelter, you and your children will receive shelter, aid, and counselors for both you and your children
- Counselors will help you and your children formulate a plan to become independent. Counselors specialize in assisting women plan on how to find housing and jobs.
- You can remain into the shelter for 60 days or longer if needed.
- There also may be extra programs available such as therapy and fully furnished apartments with low rents available to women in need of time to get on their feet so don’t hesitate to ask and ask early because usually there is a waiting list.